Thursday, May 14, 2015

Facing Age and Growing Old Gracefully-is that Possible?!

Appreciating what you've become.  With Soph
I think it would be unfair to say that most celebrities or any woman out there in the public eye look amazing when they wake up (if you do, congratulations!).  Or let's take it one step further, how many of us wake up in the morning and say Wow, what happened?  Where did the years go?  How did I get so much sun damage?  Why didn't I wear more sunscreen?  Or maybe just maybe I should of listened to my mother when she said, never get a tattoo! 

Life is about learning and experiencing things on your own timetable, sometimes we shouldn't, sometimes we should. You know what I'm talking about.  My husband's been at work in Philly, you know where his job is and the affairs of recent have made it all the more hard to be away from him...........

That's where this photo comes in.  My daughter who is all about rising and shining grabbed my IPhone which she does ever so gracefully and we snapped this selfie for my husband, her Daddy.  We love him so much and we've really missed him more than we can confess!  Ten years ago I would of never even thought of doing this...........not just because it wasn't available but because I was so self focused and truly unaware of how the decisions we make today affect the ones in the future.  It was all about me.

I still sunbath but I do it with SPF 70.  Does that make sense?  I love the sun.  I always have.  Mom and I use to sweat it out in Hawaii with Aunt Joan and layer upon layer of suntan oil, we would laugh into the late hours, cocktails and all.  Now I'm attending appointments to get colonoscopy's, mammograms and get those pesky moles checked out for melanomas.  Fun huh?  I just laugh once I check in and that's where all those lines come from on my face.  My daughter Audrey recently pointed to my forehead and asked me "Mom do those hurt?"  By those, I think she meant, those lines, those wrinkles. We were rocking in our rocking chairs on the front porch of our farmhouse.  I looked at my husband, he smiled and I said they use to.  :)

Going back to before motherhood, I would cover up those pimples, wear the latest fads, and don the coolest shades.  This annoyed Mom and Joan I think.  Today it just doesn't seem to matter.  This week admittedly I did attend an appointment to get my spider veins sucked out of my legs.  This one I won't let go.  Fun.

If I do nothing at all, I will continue to over moisturize, take long walks with my dog Belle, and love my family with all my heart.  It may not always be right but I will give it my best because what other choice do we have?  Everything else just hurts so let it be and own your SELFIE lady!!!! 

1 comment:

Lindsey Presti said...

I was told by a Dr. (so that means it's true right?) that those lines are from smiling. Not from the sun. So it is an indication that you live a happy life! A little boy I met on a playground referred to them as my "crinkles". I'm still recovering from that one but I am also still smiling all the time.