Friday, June 27, 2014

It's a Harper's Ferry weekend...what will I find for LeBlanc Lapin?

I started going on weekend trips throughout the mid Atlantic area since around the age of 10.  One of the coolest day trips my Dad ever took me on was Harper's Ferry, West Virginia. I remember the hot day, the paddle boating and walking around the town.  I was fascinated by the Main Street shops and wanted to go in every one of them but because of my Dad's impatience I'm quite sure my entre' into the last shop was vetoed!

I also remember my want and need to buy; that need is still very much alive today. I buy and sell, I buy and sell, and then reflect on where my bank account is and if I want to travel internationally that year or not!  I started selling furniture and related home decor recently out of my new home and it feels great, it really does it's just that I'm not done yet.  I'm never quite done looking for that unique find or fit for my home or someone else's.

This trip to Harper's Ferry is a trip back in time but it's also an opportunity to search for McCoy pottery, barn tables and chairs and anything that speaks to me.  It has to be good quality, it has to be timeless and it has to be unique, just like me.  I guess that's what I love most about decorating....you create it with history in mind, family photos and antiques, and also what you love the most. What do you love the most in your home? Is it the rugs that grace your walnut hardwood floors? Is it that old distressed hutch you bought on a whim and couldn't figure out how you were gonna squeeze it in the car? Or is it your kitchen where warm meals make the ones you love most happy? Maybe it's all of those things. Whatever it is, tell me about it, your story matters.

My favorite and only piece of Wedgewood china, the platter. Background: linen, my favorite fabric!

No comments: