Friday, July 31, 2015

Building our Dream Home

Lately my husband and I have been looking for land to build the dream home.  Have you done this?  This is a silly task I think.....

You ride around looking in neighborhoods you like and you walk the lots.  You picture your home, you picture the backyard, the pool, the memories. Wait.  Stop, I do this.  He looks at the price, how big or small the lot is.  Does it slope downward?  What are the schools like and so forth.  Me, I dream of the house................

Thus we have found ourselves debating.  I like to tell him about our future Christmas gatherings and summers by the pool.  He is over me talking about this and all my other future plans.  Don't get me wrong I have a great husband and I like to tell everyone about him but he and I both have different ideas of a dream home.  I think he'll go with my dream plan but on a much smaller scale!


Step One: find your special home state. We love Virginia. Leesburg and Charlottesville are unique possibilities. Find activities your family will love there and more importantly find out if you can move there!  Your job, his. Work from home.....

Step Two: do you have plans in mind? A floor plan you love?  I do. Anything that reminds me of the Hamptons and cedar shake siding-lots of windows bringing in natural light. Porches-lots of porches too. Front, back. Everywhere. Flowers everywhere.

Step Three: Build. If you have a builder you love, an architect that speaks to you, use them. Utilize Pinterest, print photos of floor plans and photos of kitchens you love. The builder you use will love your input and if he's the right builder he'll grab inspiration from your passion!!

Step Four: stay involved. An active homeowner keeps abreast of any and all changes and additions/subtractions. I've actively worked with a custom home builder and one thing I've learned is it's your home.....make it forever personal. Built in bookshelves, exposed timbers, Italian marble. Love every nook and cranny of the building process.

Happy Sweet Life.  Back to the pool and enjoying summer with my kids.  Don't forget SPF 100 (they do make it!!!!).  Next blog a yummy recipe for keeping sun drenched hair happy and growing!





No comments: