Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Beating the Winter Blues...."Seriously!" Ten ways to get out there and feel Happy!

Blues, greens, yellows, it's time for Spring! (bhg.com)
Here are some of the fun and creative ways to beat the winter blues.  I've had them.  I've heard more snow is on the way and when I heard that I thought "Seriously."  That's our family's new saying, "Seriously."  I love it.  The twins are saying it now.

Okay I like snow but seriously enough already.  I usually like winter in stages......I like going to bed early, snuggling and sleeping in, playing in the snow and taking winter walks but I'm done, seriously.  I'm ready for Spring.  I'm ready for flowers to emerge.  I'm ready for my girls to be on the soccer field (we'll.....).  I'm really ready but until then this is what you can and might be able to do to get out of the dreaded winter blues and find some hope for now.

1) Go get your nails done!  I took my youngest daughter yesterday and the nail salon had the door open.  I know why but it didn't matter I felt Spring in the air!  My nails looked great too!  Just taking that extra time to sit under the dryer gave me to time to reflect and pause.  Nature is taking it's course.

2) Go tanning-I plan to do a spray tan but always be safe and exercise caution when tanning.  Having a bit of color reminds us that we are human and not actually a snowman/woman.

3) Go to to your local YMCA and swim.  It's warm inside the center and it reminds you of Summer. Swimming also releases endorphins just the same way running outside does.  It doesn't burn as many calories but you know your getting some form of exercise.  You'll walk out feeling great knowing you did something for you!

4) Walk the mall for exercise. I know it's hard when you may not have the funding to buy all those cute Spring clothes you'll love but eventually the sales will happen and you'll be back!  Seeing folks from all walks of life in the mall puts us back in touch with our true selves.  There are many people who grace our world!

5) Take something to a charity. From my husband's hotel stays, he's accumulated hundreds of sample soaps, lotions, and travel kits.  We pack them up and take them to the Lighthouse Shelter. When you do something good for someone else you feel enlivened and the benefit lasts long after for both parties.

6) Try a new hairstyle.  I know for winter you've had that hair back or in a ponytail all winter.  Maybe now it's time for something new.  I won't reveal it now but the "b" word is making a comeback!  Bangs people. Smile.

7) Try an indoor playground if you have kids.  I know it's for them but you'd be surprised how many playground showrooms allow adults to be kids all over again!  Your feet never have to hit the snow and for a small fee your kids get tired out running on all that green turf stuff!

8) Meet a friend out at your favorite lunchtime spot!  I see so many parents that bring their kids because that's truly their only option for meeting out.  If you can nab your husband working from home one day or a trusty relative that can watch your little one, get out there. My favorite spot for lunchtime happiness, Panera Bread!  The sandwiches and salads melt in your mouth and my Panera has a fireplace.  I love it there and it's a popular place so your bound to see lots of folks dining in happy!  Frontera Chicken sandwich-the Best!


9) Go Spring for your Kitchen!  Looking at some floral rugs for my kitchen always gets me pumped.  I love changing out rugs, pillows, and linens for Springs arrival.  Greens, blues, and a little yellow make me feel color-enlivened.  Go for i!  This living room says welcome.  I love the drapes and how they pull from the pillows.  It's light and airy in this room which boost the spirit.  The hydrangeas in the vase, a bonus!

Photo courtesy of Pinterest

10) Call or visit a relative in need.  Recently I ventured out to visit with my Great Aunt and Great Uncle in Virginia.  They've been married for 60 years.  They are the heart and soul of what "family" means to me.  My daughters have not stopped talking about their visit with them.  It made such an impression and cheered me on for days after.  

I know it's hard, the winter sometimes.  That lack of Vitamin D can push people right back into their houses but try, try, try to get out of the house and do something good for yourself. Beating the winter blues takes one first step and then your there.  Just walk in.  A friendly smile is just around the corner.  

No comments: