Monday, March 16, 2015

Colorful Plants for Shady Garden Spots


Brunnera
Courtesy of "Inspirations" magazine published and created by Homestead Gardens; I thought it pertinent to bring to life the plants that enliven our souls, freshen a dark space, and bring life to our community.

Before I had the chance to read about these types of plants, I was quite sure I was going to go with Forsythia or Skip Laurels for the shaded area of my lawn-bordering the property of a vacated lot but hence, things are subject to change in Stephanie Land.  (my family and husband's terminology)  Smile here.

Here are some of my favorites and go figure for this year they all bring color to the garden!

Kalmia

Hydrangeas

Pulmonaria

If you like Perennials with Colorful Leaves, here are my favorites.  I go for the wildflower-cottage look so having ground cover mixes it up a bit.  This year I'll buy Lamium to start and maybe if I'm feeling bold Heucherella, which in the vein of this leaf protrudes a strong rich color.  Lamium is also good because of the purple blooms.  I love green foliage but for me there must be some kind of color.  I love the color purple.

Lamium

Heucherella
I love the variation of this plant here.  It exudes confidence to me and I believe it hardy because my neighbor has her hostas in partial shade and sun and they come back strong year after year.  I love gardening I'd say just as she does.  Here I am in Paris.  I posed here because I thought the scale of the gardens in proportion to the Ferris Wheel was interesting.  The time of my life. To be present in the gardens of Paris and smell the blooms was intoxicating.  

Enjoy gardening whatever you plant.  As always pick well-drained soil and fertilize with as much stuff as you can salvage from your kids fruits and veggies.  I use those scraps, banana peels and coffee grinds to supplement locally grown compost from Maryland, my home state.  

For more information on the amazing gardens at Homestead, please visit homesteadgardens.com or attend their Spring Flower Show for Celebrate Maryland, March 14th-22nd!

There Davidsonville location is worth taking the kids to!  You might see a neat exotic animal or two nearby!



No comments: