Thursday, March 5, 2015

Creating your Magical Dream Board, a Stay-in-Day-kind-of-Project

Dad and Me. Finally-a dream come true!
Before the dream board, I had never had a good relationship with my father.  Many daughters suffer this same issue. We talked. We just weren't close.  He wasn't the father a young woman needed in high school or even growing up as a little girl.  I held onto negativity for years. Many years later, my daughters were born on his 59th birthday and a miracle began to unfold.

My then boyfriend, now husband and I started volunteering at the local shelter in town and this was my first experience starting a dream board.  I was to become a mentor for a shelter mother.  I found it ironic because I found myself stuck, unable to find HOPE. That day I drafted a dream board and connected with my mentee, a woman with three young children, jobless, homeless. Several years later my good friend Joy gave me a special book and the rest is history.

Right now if you live in the northeast part of the country, you may be stuck inside wondering what else can I do?  You might feel negative because your tired of the snow and cold weather.  Your chores are done. Laundry bins are empty.  The kitchen is clean. Closets cleaned out and organized. Groceries purchased for extended lengthy days in hibernation.  St. Patrick's Day decor out and on display. What else is there to do? START A DREAM BOARD. Get out all those old magazines piling up in your living room and put them to use!  You can do one of these with your kids and have fun dreaming!

Have you ever worked on a Dream Board?  Your probably asking me what exactly is a dream board? What do I do?  I came across a dream board several times in my walk (walk in life that is) and asked the same question.  I happen to be going through a trying time in my life when a good friend introduced me to a book called The Secret by Rhonda Byrnes; it was there in that book when I learned I could and needed to create my life story.

Mind blowing!
After I read this I couldn't believe I hadn't done a dream board?  How easy-I could do this I thought and I did.  Here we go. Find a bunch of magazines you subscribe to or coupon magazines that come in the mail. Set a timeline for your dream board and write the timeline on the top (be flexible).  Mine is a lifetime-from now until then.  Yours could be a ten year timeline.  Go back to school.  Start a yoga class.  Put money down on a beach house!  

What do you dream about?  What do you envision?  How much have you thought about this?  The time is now.

Cut magazine titles, pictures, and slogans and paste them onto your dream board using an acid free glue stick. I paste them onto the back of sturdy cardboard. The pictures don't have to be perfectly aligned, pictures side by side.  Put the cut outs wherever the spirit nudges you.  It's your dream board.  When I started my first dream board, I was amazed when looking at it a few years later, how many things occurred. Big things. The home I had dreamed about and visualized, came to fruition.  It was in New York and I was living in it.  The twins I had visualized came true.  I focused and prayed on these visual pictures beforehand-I got serious.  I got grateful for living and the rest was just positive thinking.

It took some work though.  For a dream board to manifest itself, You, the dreamer must do the work.  One important ideal that came from reading the book The Secret was "the power is in your thoughts, so stay aware."  Negative thoughts attract more negative thoughts and bring that experience to you and likewise positive attracts positive.  Everything is energy.  I became keenly aware and still am, how my thoughts attract what I receive.  I try to stay conscious of this always.

Today: I keep my dream board by my bed.  I see it when I go to bed and I see it when I wake up.  I look at it and smile.  It's a culmination of my thoughts and wants and feelings.  It says it all.  Note: there are no fancy cars on my dream board.  I have to change that.  I keep staring at those Range Rovers.  They're neat.  They remind me of being on a safari somewhere glorious.  A big thank you to my dear friend Joy and to my Dad for sliding into home plate.



No comments: