Friday, July 18, 2014

Adorning your walls with bird prints


It's as if I turned 40 and birds started to mean more to me or I gave birth and bird watching became more sentimental and slowed down the aging process!!  Recently turning older (I don't have to throw out that number!) I found myself buying an aged old framed print of a male and female bird of some kind hanging onto a vine.  The colors muted, vintage, a gold frame.

The dealer offering 50% off all items in her booth was nice but not knowing this was her framed art, I browsed "Stallion's Antiques" in Leesburg, Va and found out I was in luck. My print at $69 was reduced to $34 and I wasn't leaving without it. There were some minor wrinkles in the print but after observing carefully the tones and beautiful greys within the feathers of the said birds, I was hooked.  With the lighting just so, you would never see the wrinkles. No matter. This matted and gilded frame of "loverly" (My Fair Lady reference) birds would adorn the wall above my toilette (aka powder room) and every time I find myself in the said room washing finger paint off my worn hands, I will have reminded myself that on my 41st birthday (oops I let it be known!) within the Blue Ridge Mountains, with my 63 year old beautiful mother, I bought this work of art-for a spit and that it made me happy once upon a time. My daughters will hopefully not fight over it after I'm gone....and I will know, happily that I raised them the right way. Smile.

No comments: