Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Visiting Broadway in my 40's.....how it's changed

The Book of Mormon
I didn't know what to expect from this Broadway show.  Needless to say I didn't think I'd laugh out loud the way I did.  I was in stitches, just another way of saying it hurt to laugh.  I'm so glad I wore my comfy clothes: my self made Brooklyn t-shirt, stretchy long skirt and even longer cardigan.  I wanted to be comfortable when placed between two very tall men (which I was).  I was straight on and right in the middle of the Eugene O'Neill Theatre on West 49th St.  It was a glorious feeling to come out at intermission (the photo above) and feel like "Wow, you know what it's not my personal feelings, it's art, it's somebody else's interpretation of their art.  I can appreciate it.

Written by the creators of South Park (Comedy Central), Matt Stone and Trey Parker created a skillful take on the satire.  The lead actors played by the understudies in this Saturday night performance was done with such perfection, I the harsh critic had not a word of judgement (a complete pun if your considering the work of the playwright here).  

The lead songs at times seemed long but nothing where my restless leg syndrome kicked in.  I couldn't help but feel for the 6'4" of 5" man sitting next to me with his likewise tall daughter.  As I recall not a person flinched in this majestic theatre; it was as quiet as central Manhattan could be.....we'll until the sing-along tune "Turn it Off" was heard by the both of us.  When my husband is at attention when ten men are singing on stage and it's not Imagine Dragons, we'll then you've done well.  

In this play-musical I had to pay attention, no wait, really pay attention. There is religion and the talk of Mormonism and to get the nuances and the sarcasm as a Christian was we'll a job but I didn't mind.  Once again it was the playwright's art and not necessarily his belief's or feelings about Mormonism.  I choose to look at it that way and understand that my feelings about religion and spirituality are rooted and strong and sacred to me.  Laughing was a good outlet in this venue and I have to say in my 20's I just wouldn't of gotten the whole deal, the play, the concepts. 

The 30's on Broadway were reserved for Man of LaMancha, The Producers, and Disney musicals I know you know (before kids by the way!).  Now in my 40's I have an ethereal appreciation for the art of theatre.

On my way out of the theatre after such hearty laughs, my husband asked me if I missed the stage and my answer is still no I don't. After I gave birth to my daughters in 2009, my thoughts never strayed to the stage.  From 1997 to 2009 I worked on stage, behind stage, and in between.  It took over.  I thought about going back and directing in my beautiful hometown of Annapolis, Md and then a few short months before the read-thru's I opted out.  It was the right decision.

I wanted to spend the summer with my family, my garden, and work on my bustling new home decor business.  Theatre is still sweet and perfect and fun but it's obvious that it takes long hours and a sincere commitment to make the art work and convince the audience you believe.

In the Book of Mormon's performance on July 19th, I was convinced this cast knew what they were doing, liked what they were doing and it showed.  I dedicate the photo above to my dear friend, actress and model Anastasia Summers who loved the art of make believe, the camera, and make up artistry.  Rest in peace my friend: 1974-2009.
  


  


1 comment:

Lindsey Presti said...

Inspiring story. Although MD/DC does not have Broadway, we do have many great venues that host shows well worth seeing. I am guilty of not going enough which is only because I am not being mindful to take part of this art and enjoyment. I'm ready for show time!