Thursday, February 12, 2015

A Kid-Friendly Valentine Craft-one that Blooms!

For me doing crafts with my kids is fun but for some parents, it's a battle of wits. (it is for me too!)  How do we let our children express themselves without taking over the project?

This is a real lesson in humility for me; I love artistic pursuits but it's also important to let our children grow and implement their own ideas and then, only then will their true artistic identity emerge.

That's my belief and my hope for all parents including myself is to let go and HAVE FUN!

Here's my step-by-step Craft for easy valentine's that give back all year long (hopefully with the right soil!)  With supplies in hand (this is the the hardest part-finding the right ingredients).  Don't worry I know you can do it-with kids in tow!  Here's my little take on Valentine's for the entire class!  Sweetly Decorated and made with love.  Enjoy!

With Love These Seeds Will Grow

Ingredients
4x6 cardboard pieces (from the back of picture frames work best)
Washable paint/paintbrushes
Pink Heart Paper Doilies
Embellishments of your kids choice
Ultra Washable Crayola Markers (to address the valentine)
Wildflower Seed Packets
Acid-free glue sticks

1) Two days before your child's valentines' party, have your child or children paint the front of the 4x6 cardboard pieces.  They will love doing this!


**Mom or Dad hot glue the cardboard piece with just a dab of hot glue-attach heart shaped doilie to the front of the cardboard piece. (be careful parents and make sure the hot glue gun is out of sight!)
**Using mailing labels type out your favorite valentine slogan.  For me, With Love These Seeds Will Grow seemed in harmony with the seed packets.  Print.  (aligning the mailing labels to print was the hardest part!)
2) Have you child using a glue stick glue the seed packet to the front of the heart-in the center would be great but wherever they feel the inspiration is fine too!


3) I cut the mailing labels using design scissors but regular scissors will work too.  Have your child attach the label to the seed packet and adorn with flower embellishments and sparkly hearts!!




4) I wrote out the For and From due to lack of space but I don't think the parents will mind-it's with a happy heart that these valentines' were crafted!

Happy Hearts Day and love from our family to yours.  



No comments: