Friday, February 20, 2015

Our Living Rooms' Quick Change-Make over in a Minute!

I love it don't you when a room comes together?  It's not often I can make that happen with little ones and usually I don't move the heavy stuff.  That's up to my husband and even he calls for reinforcements from time to time.

When we moved back home I just knew we were going to require two sofas to accomodate a living room that would serve as entertainment room, game room and book club room (coffee dates in there are a MUST!).

To start we moved sofas to face one another to create conversation among family and friends.  This situation I'll call it called for one of the sofas to back up to our focal point: the gas fireplace.  (a good 2 feet from the fireplace!)
AN OLD BARN TABLE
Once upon a time there was a barn SALE.  I saw an oak pedestal table and the possibilities were endless.  My husband sawed it down, painted it a matte black, sanded with fine grit sand paper and the rest was history!  Topped with nautical treasures to accent the town we live in (Annapolis is the sailing capital of the world!) and a sisal rug underneath, there was nothing left to do but enjoy relaxation!

You know when your teenage daughter hangs out in there it's comfortable!

I felt like something was missing though.  I know sometimes when we decorate, our room feels "less than".  Have you ever been to someone's home whom you might love their decorating but can't imagine dusting all those accessories!  I have and it's daunting.  My decorating scheme is always "sweet"; I sum it up in two words: sweet and simple.

So with that, I felt like my Annapolis Furniture Company book shelves should be adorned with my creamware.  I removed some of the personal photos off of the bookshelves because the look was cluttered and replaced them on the fireplace mantel-a look now complete with fluffy pillows and throw blankets.

Royal Creamware
I've been collecting creamware for years; flea markets, thrift shops, yard sales.  I love it and will never stop collecting it.  I will pass it onto my daughters when they marry.

The Jasper Plaid Pillow by Pottery Barn
I love this pillow cover.  If you have pillows in your collection, zippered covers come off-just use the inserts if they come close to the size pillow cover you need.  I only buy the pillow cover and change them out depending on the season.  It's the quickest change and most affordable way to change up a rooms look!

Happy
Although the room may look cluttered, to me it feels "sweetly decorated" which is what I was going for.  It took a year to feel complete about the room and I still may add another this or that but with my little ceramic bull dog seen below, what more could you need?  He guards the room and never lets our dog Belle feel intimidated.  Bella feels right at home in her little dog bed (seen far right).

My little French bull dog!
What makes you feel at home?  Is it a collection of treasured books?  Family photos?  My sister in law gave me a delicious book (she does this often) called Living With What You Love.  A great flip through read.  It helped me get started-Happy Hunting!!



No comments: