Saturday, February 21, 2015

Southern Grits & Hardboiled Eggs, a Weekend Breakfast Favorite

Since our arrival in the southern states last night, I felt it my duty to post one of my go-to recipes; one that all four of my kids have come to love!  This is so super easy and if one feels inclined go ahead and spice it up with your favorite hot sauce-I promise it won't send you sweating!

Hardboil your favorite eggs the night before. I always drop the eggs in prior to a boil and once boiling leave them in for 20 minutes. Let them cool and place in the fridge overnight. Use Quaker Oat's 5 minute grits because these taste the best. When cooking use unsalted butter and your favorite milk. Mix it into the grits while cooking.  I like it this way because it cooks in rather than sitting on top of the grits and that's what you'll end up eating-a whole lot of butter and milk!  Slice egg atop the grits, sprinkle with salt, pepper and a pinch of garlic salt and your ready to go!

This breakfast packs a powerful punch-it's that boost of carbs and protein you need to start the day and it tastes delicious. On a cold morning, what more could you ask for? A warm breakfast bowl of something good. Grateful.

Add shredded cheese, green onions, spinach if you like. It's your bowl of something good!


No comments: