Thursday, February 5, 2015

Decorating with Neutrals-Keep it Simple and Pink for Girls, not out of Style

Pink girls
I'm blessed in many ways-aren't we all?  We have so many privileges as United States citizens and spiritual gifts to share with the world  We have the choice every day to wake up some one's day or bring it down and ourselves with it.  I choose happy most times.  After thirty or so years of decorating and rearranging furniture, hanging wall paper with Mom and antiquing like running a race, I finally decided to pursue interior design as a career path.  I've never been happier and now I know where my girls are going to kindergarten. Happy times!

PINK IS MY SIGNATURE COLOR
My daughters love pink and isn't that a fun color to decorate with and play with?  So when we decided to paint their bathroom and accent their bedroom, we accordingly (my husband loves to decorate too!) choose the color pink.  They are girls and their lives revolve around dolls, stuffed animals, ballet and they absolutely love bubble gum pink toothpaste (it gets sticky people)!  I have found that our youngest daughter loves to rearrange furniture so we have passed that trait onto her and encourage decorating challenges!  She was out today in 30 degree weather rearranging the patio furniture, she's five and it's not light weight stuff!

COLOR IN NEUTRALS
When it came to decorating the rooms in the main living areas, we choose a nice neutral taupe.  It's allows me to accent our home with pillows in every shade, and to play with accent pieces from green ceramic birds to wooden red apples.  Build those treasured items in various shades. Groupings are awesome!!

Here is my Dining Room circa November 2014.  I've since changed it to transition from dining space to home office space.  It works both ways effortlessly.

Beautiful things in one room!
I've also since moved my stoneware collection to the main living space.  I love to collect items of similar color and group them together, unifying a room, giving it stability and structure.  It also brings me peace.  The other item I bought long ago at a pretty large furniture store/chain was the chandelier.  Tear drop chandelier's are so lovely, all they have to do is just exist. I loved it from the moment I saw it and knew when I moved back to beautiful Annapolis, Maryland it would find a place in our home.  It's elegant and you know what, inexpensive too!!

The parson chairs are slip covered to change with the seasons and the table runner-always burlap.  I interchange this runner and use it in the kitchen to bring a certain rusticity to such a busy table.

Mercury accents, such as candle holders, bird place card holders, iron bird baths always take center stage when I decorate a dining room table.

The area rug from IKEA-affordable, simple, and sturdy as it holds up to dogs, kids and my movement from dining room/office to kitchen.  You gotta eat!  Enjoy decorating and be patient, it's an art.

Happy Girls.  Living pink.



No comments: